Have you ever wanted something so bad you can’t stop thinking about it? Well, affirmations were created to help you channel your will and manifest your heart’s greatest desires.
Ask anyone that believes in the power of manifesting your ‘best life’, and they’ll entertain you with raving reviews of success stories they have personally experienced.
But even though this way of thinking stems from spiritual roots, we are going to take a more scientific approach and focus on the aspects that have been proven to work.
So, if you are ready to give affirmations and manifestation a try, then climb aboard, and let’s go on a journey of discovery together.
Introduction to the law of attraction
Dating back to the 12 universal laws that originated in ancient Hawaiian and Egyptian cultures, the law of attraction is arguably the most popular and relevant in modern society.
The law of attraction is pretty straightforward. It is the principle that you attract what you want by proclaiming your desires to the world. You do this by making declarations and facts that relate to who you want to be or what your want as if you already have it.
For example, if you want to earn £1000, you will create affirmations around it, e.g. ‘I am worthy of having money’. You repeat this daily, sometimes multiple times a day – ‘affirming’ your belief you will get it. Eventually, this will manifest into reality. Perhaps, in this case, you get a bonus at work or win money on a scratch card.
In 2006, the law of affirmation gained a new audience when Rhonda Byrne released a film and subsequently a book called ‘The Secret.’
After speaking to many different spiritual teachers, Byrne discovered a common thread among the happiest people and the greatest minds in history. Knowingly or not, they all used the law of attraction to have the life they wanted.
Byrnes believes that our past thoughts attract the circumstances in our life – for better or worse. As such, what we think about ourselves, our life, and what we deserve, act as the driving force to success.
The secret to the law of affirmations, according to the film and book, is to take the following three steps:
Ask for what you want
Being as specific and clear as you can be, ask the universe for what you want.
Believe in it
Once you have asked, you need to believe you already have it, to the point you live your life as if you do.
Once the hard work is done and you have manifested what you want, all that is left is to receive the gift the universe has given you.
The below video from Bob Proctor, bestseller self-help author and someone who features prominently throughout the Secret, explains how the law of attraction works.
The science that drives affirmations and manifestations to work
Ok, this section is specifically for all the sceptics out there that struggle to believe in spirituality and prefer a science-backed approach.
You see, whether you believe in the power of the divine or not, affirmations are a proven way to enhance your life and mental wellbeing.
So, scientifically speaking, how can affirmations work?
When you repeat the same affirmation daily, you keep it at the forefront of your brain, allowing it to play like a broken record as a backing track in your mind.
As we know from The Secret and the law of attraction, affirmations are constructed by taking things you want in the future and stating them as if they are already a reality.
So, let’s assume that you want to improve your self-confidence. If you look in the mirror and tell yourself, ‘I am a confident, self-assured person who deserves love’ on a daily basis, guess what? You’re going to start believing it’s true. Because thoughts become beliefs.
The same goes for any other affirmation. The more you state it, the more you believe it.
And when you believe it, you will find you start taking action to align with your new self-beliefs.
Let’s stay with the self-confidence example. Imagine at the start of your self-confidence manifestation journey you blame your lack of job opportunities and romantic partners because you are not self-confident enough to have these things.
The likelihood is that it’s not your self-confidence that is directly causing it, but rather it is keeping you from taking actions that would create opportunities for these two things to be present in your life. Perhaps you even push them away subconsciously.
And yet, the moment your affirmations work, and you believe you are self-confident, it feels as if your dream job and a partner land in your lap.
Is this likely the case? Unfortunately, no. In reality, your boost in self-confidence will have driven you to take more risks and seek more opportunities in the life aspects you wanted to improve.
And THAT is how manifestation works.
Not a divine entity that drops your dreams into your life, but a change in your internal monologue that drives you to take new actions that better align with the life you want.
They call it the law of attraction, but really, you’re doing all the heavy lifting.
What can you use affirmations for?
You might be wondering what you can use affirmations for. The truth is you can attribute affirmations to any aspect of your life to manifest the outcomes you want.
Typically, most people tend to use affirmations to manifest improvements in one of the following seven aspects of their life:
- Improving your self-confidence
- Creating financial stability
- Making career choices and/or finding a job
- Finding romantic love
- Health and love for their family
- Personal health
- Mental wellbeing and calmness
Affirmations to improve your self-confidence
Here comes the fun part. Below is a list of affirmations you can use in your life to manifest the life you want. Some affirmations are all-encompassing, while others are very specific.
Not every affirmation will be relevant to you, so read through the list and pick a few that you would like to use as part of your daily manifestation routine.
- I fully approve of who I am, even as I get better.
- I am happy in my own skin and in my own circumstances.
- I am enough.
- I am resilient, and I can get through anything life throws my way.
- I am in charge of my life.
- I am at peace with who I am as a person.
- I wake up today with strength in my heart and clarity in my mind.
- I am the architect of my life; I build its foundation and choose its contents.
- I give myself permission to do what is right for me.
- I trust that I am on the right path
- I am worthy of what I desire
- My life is full of potential.
- I am calm and content.
- I can be whatever I want to be.
- I feel more grateful each day.
- I trust myself wholeheartedly.
- Today will be a gorgeous day to remember.
- I choose to fully participate in my day.
- I believe in my ability to unlock the way and set myself free.
- I give up the habit to criticise myself.
- What I have done today was the best I was able to do today. And for that, I am thankful.
- I am adventurous. I conquer my fears by following my dreams.
- I make a difference in the world by simply existing in it.
- I acknowledge my own self-worth; my confidence is soaring.
- I have the power to change.
- I possess the qualities needed to be extremely successful.
- I am learning valuable lessons from myself every day.
- I am getting healthier every day.
- I matter and what I have to offer this world also matters.
- I engage in work that impacts this world positively
- I am turning down the volume of negativity in my life and turning up the volume of positivity.
- I set goals and go after them with all the determination I can muster. When I do this, my own skills and talents will take me to amazing places I never knew I could reach
- I breathe in calmness and breathe out nervousness.
- I make smart, calculated plans for my future.
- The past has no power over me anymore.
- I create a safe and secure place for myself wherever I am.
- My ability to conquer my challenges is limitless; my potential to succeed is infinite.
- I am not pushed by my problems; I am led by my dreams.
- I have the ability to recover from difficulties.
- Happiness is a choice. I base my happiness on my own accomplishments and the blessings I've been given.
- Taking small steps every day can help me achieve big goals.
- Creative energy surges through me and leads me to new and brilliant ideas.
- I refuse to give up because I haven’t tried all possible ways.
- I accept everyone as they are and continue on with pursuing my dream.
- I press on because I believe in my path.
How to use your affirmations to manifest the life you want
Now you have a list of affirmations you can use to cultivate the law of attraction and live the life you want; it’s time to decide how you choose to use them.
Some people like to speak their affirmations out loud while looking in the mirror. This is a very powerful way of using affirmations as you are looking yourself in the eye, telling yourself these new facts about yourself.
As you address yourself in the mirror, you are setting a statement of intent. The person staring straight back at you is the person that is (insert affirmation here). And that person is you. You learn to see yourself as you are and as you affirm yourself to be.
It can feel uncomfortable for some people to do this at first, especially if you don’t feel comfortable looking in the mirror, but its effects are powerful.
If speaking your affirmations out loud isn’t your cup of tea, you may like to try journaling your affirmations.
Choose five affirmations from the list above (or make up your own) and write them at the front of your journal. And then, every day, rewrite the affirmations on a new page. As you repeat the lines, they will become a natural narrative in your day-to-day life.
The benefit of using a journal is you can also use it to document your progress. So not only will you be able to look back on your journey, you’ll be able to see exactly which actions you took to get there, so you know what to do (or continue) in the future.
Some people choose to recite their affirmations during morning mindful meditation sessions. As meditation is a practice used to keep present in the moment, thinking about your affirmations can help ground the belief that the affirmation is the truth of your life.
This method is particularly useful for those that feel a spiritual connection to the law of attraction and wish to dive deeper into discovering this.
Affirmations can help you lead the life you want by helping you get in the right mindset to live a life aligned with your goals and aspirations.
Remember that affirmations are a very personal thing, and you do not need to find the ‘perfect one’ for it to be worthy. Just find the ones that feel most comfortable for you.
Affirmations are not a one-off event, so be aware that this is a journey of manifestation you are about to embark on. Create the habit of repeating your affirmations daily, and watch as your behaviours change into actions that allow you to manifest dreams you never thought were possible to achieve.
Good luck on your manifestation journey!
We can’t wait to hear your affirmation and manifestation success stories!